Our history tells us where we have been, and gives us a sense of direction for the future. When you look at the history of the Altmeyer Funeral Homes & Crematory you find people with strong family values and a commitment to service.
Serving the community has been important to the Altmeyer Family since the first Altmeyer settled in the Wheeling area. From being involved in civic organizations, to defending our country in the Armed Services, to being active in their church, the Altmeyers are known for sharing their time and resources with others.
Families who are grieving a loss come to Altmeyer Funeral Home as they have for decades because they know they will be treated as family. As we have grown, that same quality of service has been extended to many communities in the Ohio River Valley area.
- Founded in 1917 by James P. Altmeyer, the first Altmeyer Funeral Home was located at 1104 Chapline St. in Wheeling, WV. In 1922, the funeral home moved to its current location at 1400 Eoff Street.
- In 1947, the Altmeyers opened their second funeral home establishment at 214 Marshall Street, McMechen, WV.
- In 1955, Harry, George, and Jack Altmeyer opened their third funeral home located at 154 Kruger Street, Elm Grove, WV.
- In 1990, they purchased the Martin Funeral Home in East Liverpool, OH, now known as the Martin-MacLean-Altmeyer Funeral Home. Also in 1990, they purchased the Martin-MacLean Funeral Home, now known as the Martin-MacLean-Altmeyer Funeral Home, in Wellsville, OH.
- In 1991, they acquired the Kirby-Vance Funeral Home of McMechen, and the Lutes Funeral Home in Moundsville, WV. Today this is the Altmeyer Funeral Home, Lutes & Kirby-Vance Chapel, located in Moundsville, WV.
- In 1994, the Altmeyers purchased the former Beisweinger Funeral Home in South Wheeling, now known as the Altmeyer Funeral Home - South Wheeling Chapel.
- In 1996, the Altmeyers founded the Dignity Funeral Services in Norfolk, VA.
- In 1998, after rapid growth in the Tidewater area, they established the Altmeyer Funeral Home - Virginia Beach under the direction of James E. Altmeyer, Jr. In 1998, the Altmeyers purchased the Beck Funeral Home in St. Clairsville, OH. Following complete renovations of the facility, in 1999, they renamed that location - the Beck-Altmeyer Funeral Home.
- In March of 2000, the Altmeyers opened another facility, their newest funeral home. The Martin-MacLean-Altmeyer Funeral Home is located at 15872 St. Clair Ave., Calcutta, OH.
- On July 1, 2000, the Altmeyer Funeral Home opened a new location in the Denbigh area of Newport News, VA., at 12893 Jefferson Ave.
- In September of 2000, the Altmeyers purchased the Bauknecht Funeral Homes in Bellaire, Shadyside, and Powhatan Point, OH.
- In October, 2007, the Altmeyers purchased the Maestas Funeral Home at 1801 Baltic Ave. Virginia Beach, VA.
From its small but promising beginnings, the Altmeyer Funeral Homes & Crematory now operates 17 facilities bearing their name in three states, Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia. They serve approximately 2,000 families a year with the same attention to detail that was given to the first family that called them for service in 1918.